The “Biographical Portal” is a cooperative project of the Bavarian State Library, the Historical Committee at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities, the Austrian Academy of Sciences, and the Foundation Historical Dictionary of Switzerland. A joint index makes available the following works:
- Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB)
- Neue Deutsche Biographie (NDB)
- Österreichisches Biographisches Lexikon 1815-1950 (ÖBL)
- Historisches Lexikon der Schweiz (HLS),
- Oesterreichisches Musiklexikon (OeML)
- Rheinland-Pfälzische Personendatenbank (RPPD)
- Sächsische Biografie (SäBi)
- Slovenska biografija (SBI)
In this way, more than 100,000 scholarly biographies of persons from all social backgrounds and nearly all periods of German, Austrian, and Swiss history may be accessed. Further national and regional biographical works of reference are planned for future inclusion in the portal.
The cumulative index to these works of reference can be searched using the following criteria:
- surname and forename (including variants of names and pseudonyms)
- year of birth and/or death
A further mouse-click on the desired name takes the user from the list of search results to the referenced sites.